Yesterday we release several new and updated base GoGrid cloud server images as part of our regular Operating System refreshes.
Below is a quick lists of the New, Updated and End of Life-d base images.
New Major Versions
- CentOS 6
- What’s new in CentOS 6 (RHEL technical details): http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/details/
- This version of CentOS is not subject to the “time drift” issue
- These machines now run in PV (paravirtualization) mode
- Debian 6
- What’s new in Debian 6: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armel/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html
New Minor Versions
- CentOS 5.6
- RHEL 5.7
- Windows Server 2003 – updated with Microsoft Security Patches & Powershell 2.0
- Windows Server 2008 – updated with Microsoft Security Patches, Powershell 2.0 and on SQL Server images, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 – updated with Microsoft Security Patches
End of Life-d (EOL) Versions
- CentOS 5.3
- RHEL 5.4
Note: Servers already deployed that are running older (perhaps EOL-ed) images are not affected (meaning, we do not delete them) but you may want to consider refreshing those servers to a later version of the OS. When a server is EOL-ed, it is simply removed from the GoGrid base OS repository and you cannot create new servers from these images.
Remember that these updates and new versions only apply to NEW VMs that you create using these images listed above. If you have existing cloud servers running, please be sure that you regularly run security and Operating System updates to ensure that you servers are running the latest versions and have the most current security patches.
Latest posts by Michael Sheehan (see all)
- Get Your Game On in the Cloud - June 11, 2013
- How Software Defined Networking Delivers Next-Generation Success - June 5, 2013
- James Gosling to Speak on Innovation at GoGrid Cloud Meetup on 5/22 - May 16, 2013