Gear6, the leading provider of commercial Memcached solutions, and GoGrid today announced the availability of Gear6 Cloud Cache, an on-demand service offering designed to speed up, scale out and ensure uptime of web services and applications built within servers deployed within the GoGrid cloud. Memcached is a popular, open source distributed memory system used to scale dynamic content for busy web sites. As dynamic content gets pushed to cloud applications, Memcached provides an ideal mechanism for accelerating performance.
By choosing the Gear6 GoGrid Partner Server Image (GSI), GoGrid users will receive a 100% Memcached compatible server that delivers dramatically better memory efficiency. GoGrid users who deploy a Gear6 optimized server within GoGrid benefit from:
- A more efficient cache
- Cache depth amplification
- An easy to use web GUI & REST interface
- Commercial support
- …and more
Using Gear6′s Memcached server images on GoGrid means that those servers will have optimized memory management which translates to a much higher speed of cached data and up to a 50% increase in DRAM efficiency without any noticeable performance degradation. There are currently a couple of Gear6 images available within GoGrid, including:
- CentOS 5.3 (32-bit) – free (plus standard GoGrid RAM & Bandwidth charges)
- CentOS 5.3 (64-bit) – $60/month/server (plus standard GoGrid RAM & Bandwidth charges)
The following press release was issued by Gear6 today and the full text which discusses the Gear6/GoGrid partnership and Gear6 Cloud Cache server offering is below:
Gear6 Memcached Service for the Cloud Now Available on GoGrid
GoGrid Customers Among First to Be Able to Take Advantage of Better Memory Usage, Speed and Scalability Offered by Only Commercial Memcached Service on Market
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA and SAN FRANCISCO, CA–(Marketwire – February 9, 2010) – Gear6, the leading provider of Memcached solutions, and GoGrid, a leading Cloud Infrastructure Hosting provider, today rolled out Gear6 Cloud Cache™ for the GoGrid Cloud. This on-demand service allows GoGrid customers to take advantage of Gear6′s robust, commercial-grade Memcached offering to speed up, scale out and ensure uptime for their web services and applications.
First introduced in December 2009 as Gear6 Web Cache Server for the Cloud, Gear6 Cloud Cache is the industry’s first enhanced Memcached offering for cloud platforms. Memcached is a popular, open source distributed memory system used to scale dynamic content for busy web sites. As dynamic content gets pushed to cloud applications, Memcached provides an ideal mechanism for accelerating performance. Cloud Cache, Gear6′s Memcached distro for the cloud, uniquely leverages cloud-based storage resources to increase cache depth by several orders of magnitude and offers optimized memory management that delivers even higher levels of performance and increased efficiency. Free and paid images of Cloud Cache are available on GoGrid today.
“Just as file services and storage services have become common to cloud-based platforms, memory services are now a must-have for fast, scalable cloud applications,” said Joaquin Ruiz, Executive Vice President of Products for Gear6. “Given its popularity with many of the busiest Web 2.0 sites, Memcached is the natural universal API to address memory usage in the cloud. Already proven on other platforms, Gear6 Cloud Cache is now ready for GoGrid customers looking to speed up their web apps without breaking the bank.”
GoGrid offers both on-demand, self-service cloud hosting services as well as hybrid hosting enabling customers to connect to physical hardware. GoGrid’s open front-end is backed by state-of-the-art hardware and broad operating systems support.
“With the addition of the Gear6 Cloud Cache service, GoGrid continues to maintain our edge in the cloud hosting market,” said John Keagy, CEO and co-founder, GoGrid. “Now, GoGrid can deliver the needed on-demand memory services required by our customers to scale out their applications, improve the utility of our service and manage their memory usage easily.”
Gear6 Cloud Cache Server offers capabilities and benefits in the following areas:
- Efficiency: Optimized memory management delivers up to 50 percent increase in DRAM efficiency per cloud image with no performance degradation. This enables more high speed cached data per cloud image.
- Cache depth amplification: Transparent cloud storage access enables a two-tiered caching mechanism resulting in orders of magnitude more utility per image. This capability is a unique feature of Gear6′s Memcached offering.
- Choice of 32- or 64-bit image sizes: 32-bit GSIs are offered at no cost (not including GoGrid RAM & outbound Bandwidth costs); 64-bit GSIs, which support larger cache sizes, incur a monthly fee (in addition to GoGrid RAM and outbound Bandwidth Costs).
- Ease-of-use: A comprehensive web GUI and REST interface provide ease-of-management and integration for cloud deployments. Historical cache information can be easily accessed for application debugging and optimization.
- 100% Memcapable: Gear6 Cloud Cache is Memcached protocol compliant http://www.gear6.com/gear6-web-cache-memcapable).
- Commercial Support: Priced offerings include 24×7 email and phone support, including installation and trouble-shooting assistance.
Gear6 Cloud Cache is immediately available on GoGrid. For more information about this offering, visit http://exchange.gogrid.com/partnergsi/gear6-cloud-cache-server or http://www.gear6.com/memcached-product/cloud-cache/GoGrid.
To stay up-to-date on Memcached and Gear6, follow @g6memcached on Twitter.
Gear6 (www.gear6.com) introduced the first mission critical software distribution for Memcached, enabling high-growth media, social networking and content aggregation web sites to deliver and scale dynamic applications and content. By focusing on the emerging need for a dedicated Web caching tier, Gear6 solutions dramatically improve the scalability of web applications and databases, while improving quality of service and reducing infrastructure cost. Gear6′s flagship offering is Gear6 Web Cache, a Memcached protocol-compliant solution that enables web site developers and operators to scale web services and applications, to save money, rack space, power and time, to protect users and sites from failures and traffic spikes, and to manage all aspects of caching operations. Gear6 corporate headquarters are in Mountain View, California.
GoGrid is a leading Cloud Infrastructure Hosting provider that delivers true “Control in the Cloud™”. GoGrid enables sysadmins, developers, IT professionals and SaaS vendors to create, deploy, and control free f5 load balanced cloud & dedicated servers and complex hosted virtual server networks with full root access/administrative server control which includes personal server images (known as MyGSIs). GoGrid server instances maintain industry standard specifications with no requirement to learn and adapt to proprietary standards. Deploying GoGrid infrastructure takes minutes via a unique, award winning web control panel or GoGrid’s API. GoGrid delivers portal controlled servers for Windows Server 2003/2008, SQL Server, and ASP.NET, as well as multiple Linux server operating systems like RHEL and CentOS. GoGrid gives users the control of a familiar datacenter environment with the flexibility and immediate scalability of the cloud, a “cloudcenter.” To learn more, visit www.gogrid.com.
More information on other GoGrid Partners can be found on the GoGrid Exchange.
Latest posts by Michael Sheehan (see all)
- James Gosling to Speak on Innovation at GoGrid Cloud Meetup on 5/22 - May 16, 2013
- Advertising in the Cloud - May 2, 2013
- How To Enable & Manage the New, Free GoGrid Firewall Service - May 1, 2013