KML_FLASHEMBED_PROCESS_SCRIPT_CALLS

What Operating System Images and Applications do YOU want on GoGrid?

May 22nd, 2008 by - 15,791 views

A few days ago, I had an interesting conversation with a very excited GoGrid user. So much so, that he was working on getting all of his production websites migrated over to GoGrid, but only after he fully installed cPanel. Using cPanel, he said, would enable him to seamlessly migrate all of his clients’ sites. He kept running into little tweaks that he needed to do here and there, but kept working on it, happy that he could so easily build up and rip down server instances with GoGrid. Eventually, he got it to work. His ultimate suggestion? Get an Operating System image with cPanel installed, or at a minimum, have a bare-bones install of CentOS so that cPanel could be installed easily.

As we continue to build out the GoGrid Operating System images (shortly to roll out some new ones), I thought that it would make sense to ask what Open Source software you might want to see in upcoming template releases.

opensource_tag_cloud

My list of Open Source apps that I would want on Windows and/or Linux is growing and includes:

What about actual Operating Systems like Ubuntu or Debian?

How about combinations of the OS and Open Source app?

I realize that these are simple Open Source applications but do you really want to spend hours installing and configuring your server for these to work? The whole goal of GoGrid is “control in the cloud” and make server deployments quick and easy. With these templates, we hope to make the process even easier, turnkey and ready-to-go out of the box! Post a comment with your wish list and we will see what we can do.

The following two tabs change content below.

Michael Sheehan

Michael Sheehan, formerly the Technology Evangelist for GoGrid, is a recognized technology, social media, and cloud computing pundit and blogger who writes regularly about technology news and trends.

25 Responses to “What Operating System Images and Applications do YOU want on GoGrid?”

1. Michael Wang-Helmke says:

To me, when you have the ability to snapshot instances and launch new instances from the saved snapshot, what pre-installed software is there will matter very little. I’ll create my own custom tailored instances and launch them as necessary. The Amazon EC2 feature set here is quite good. What they lack is hardware load balancing and good windows support.

Michael

2. Yuvi says:

I second Micheal. Providing our own snapshots would be totally cool, so that I can setup things locally and then “beam it over”.

Also, not charging for stopped instances would be good too!

3. Michael Sheehan says:

@michael,

Great idea and I think that within the next few months you will be pleasantly surprised with some of the new features coming out in GoGrid. Yep, the load balancing and windows support is an important differentiator. It’s important to remember that the LB is free too (as is our customer support…I believe with Amazon, you have to pay).

@Yuvi,

In terms of the stopped instances…think of it this way, when you rent an apartment, you still have to pay for it, whether you are in it or not during that time. You are essentially, reserving the right to go in and out of it as you choose. With GoGrid, it is similar. You “rent” or reserve the right to use the disk/RAM/CPU at any point you need to. But reserving comes with a cost. You will get it exactly as you left it. I guess you are looking more for a hotel where you are only charged for when you use it (e.g day by day). The only difference is, you come back in and it has been “reset” to how it was originally.

You can do sort of a combination of that with GoGrid. You can reset your servers (e.g., delete and recreate) and you are only charged for when they are created (in active or stopped states) and persistent but then when you delete them, you are not charged.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Michael

4. Sebastien says:

A very cool image would be a Firewall-only image that we could set up in front of our virtual servers.. Anything like that in store?

5. Mark says:

A Firewall options is a great idea, I second that.

Also I’d love to see Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server edition also availalbe for Web and MySQL data base installs.

6. Michael Sheehan says:

@Sebastien & @Mark

So, for a firewall, are you thinking about an OS image that has a more robust firewall option configured or something similar to the F5 Loadbalancer (software interface to actual hardware)? Both the Linux and Windows servers have the default software-based OS firewalls enabled.

@Mark,

Ubuntu is definitely on the list of OS images to be deployed (that I what I personally use as my personal linux box – but I’m more Windows and Mac – no Mac images for GoGrid though, sorry – grin)

-Michael

7. Lee says:

If anyone’s interested..

SugarCRM
    Cpanel
    Webmin

get my vote.

8. I second that request for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Do you have a so so notion on when we can expect it?

9. seb says:

Either way would be great. An hardware configurable firewall would be probably the best option.

Talking bout the F5, an already cool feature would be to load balance directly to private IPs. As far as i understood this is not possible right now. Any chance to get that features soon?

10. Pierre says:

The option I would definitively loves would be upload my own customized images to gogrid, that way I would not have to rebuild everything from scratch once I am happy with it. Also I would the ability to create snapshots of my virtual instance so that I can rollback if there are any problems.

11. Atif says:

I would love to see Debian OS option added. If that was there I would use your hosting for sure.

12. Herb says:

cPanel would be great. I am considering signing up at the moment for Windows servers, but have WHM/cPanel as well. I also have a ColdFusion server to migrate, but I have my own license for that (and that’s an old version).

On RAM – does this mean you can’t “throttle” your RAM?

My sites are VERY resource intensive during office hours, but very, very dead at night.

You talk about “being green”, so I’ll use a related analogy, since we’re using grid computing to save resources, you should bill people consistently, I think.

I don’t leave the car running at night because I’m going to drive it in the morning. I know I’m “guaranteed” the driver’s seat (unless my wife says otherwise) but I’m not paying for gas to go nowhere. Isn’t that part of this whole idea as well?

I can see disk space being left allocated, you can’t cede “land”, but RAM? I don’t see why someone couldn’t “schedule” their allocation like 2GB from 6AM – 12AM and 1GB from 12AM to 6AM.

That’s only 6 RAM hours per day, but 180/Month, 2160 a Year.

Just a suggestion.

Prospective Business Customer..

13. Michael Sheehan says:

@Herb,

Yes, we are working on some sort of a cPanel (and/or Plesk) image. It is complicated with the licensing though so may take a bit of time.

RAM – no, you can’t throttle it. Because this is built on top of Xen, the hypervisor allocates the RAM based on your GoGrid image, whether you use it or not.

Interesting analogy. I will offer a slight spin on it (and get to the green comments in a second). With your car, that is yours. You own it and can do what you want with it. This would be similar to dedicated hosting or owning your own server. You can turn it off if you want. If colo-ed, you still pay for leasing the space. If your own, you still pay for your bandwidth even if server is off. You can think of GoGrid as a Taxi. It drives around (wasting gas – not green, sorry) but when you want it, it is there and you pay for the use. Does that make sense?

In terms of green-ness, GoGrid is definitely more green than a dedicated server. GoGrid is a grid of nodes and within each node are multiple GoGrid server instances (for lack of a better term).

When you carve out space within a virtualized environment, the amount of space physically carved out within a node is directly proportionate to the amount of RAM (and allocated disk space). To be able to throttle or dynamically expand/contract the amount of RAM would require the virtualization engine to dynamically expand/contract the physical disk allotment.

I hope this makes sense. I do LOVE your idea though! Keep them coming. Contact me through the contact form if you want a discount larger than the $50 off currently on the GoGrid site.

Thanks,
    Michael

14. Nick says:

I would love to be able to add a NAS unit (storage scales dynamically based on need) and hardware firewall (configurable at runtime) in the same fashion as I can add a load balancer. That way all my files can be stored in one location, but served via separate web/application servers.

15. Michael Sheehan says:

@Nick,

Great suggestion. We will have a storage solution soon.

Thanks,
    Michael

16. RG says:

Among others, gogrid is ideal for video companies – especially encoding.

ffmpeg, the standard opensource encoding solution, is sometimes difficult with many dependencies. Offering the option to install ffmpeg would be very valuable. rg

17. Christoph says:

Seamless support for rBuilder (http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/) images would be ideal.

18. Luca says:

I would add to the list of software:

Gallery
    forum/boards software (like phpBB or others)

Generally speaking, if you are considering cPanel I would definitely also consider having Fantastico for installing open source scripts.

19. Dale Bustad says:

I would love to see either Debian or Ubuntu LTS. Debian would be my slight preference of the two. I am currently holding back rolling out an application with your services because I’m not particularly fond of your Linux distribution offerings. I also think a hardware firewall option would be great. NAS would be nice, but not nearly as important for me, personally.

20. Chris says:

I’m a potential customer… I like what I see so far.

My votes:
    -WHM/cPanel
    -SugarCRM
    -Custom-built images to deploy quickly to new server instances with the same web app behind a load balancer–why re-configure a new server and web app again when it could easily be cloned? Just clone and deploy!

My priority would be the custom-built image. The easier to deploy, the better it will be!

Thanks!

21. William says:

PLESk PLESK PLESK and NAS. Oh, yea – and PLESK.

22. Michael Sheehan says:

@William

Let me guess, you want a PLESK image? Yes, we will have one eventually. We just need to figure out the best way to bill for that (either you bring your own license or we provide one for you). Thanks for the suggestion.

In terms of NAS, did you see the post about our Cloud Storage feature coming soon?

Thanks,
    Michael

23. Julya says:

do you guys have a recommendation section, i’d like to suggest some stuff

24. Simon Litchfield says:

Debian or ubuntu is an absolute must! rackspacecloud, slicehost, etc all have it. How about freebsd?

25. Kevin Justice says:

Untangle!!!! (Or at least debian so we can load untangle). That would give us the user friendly firewall we need for the rest of our virtual images.